Sunday, April 14, 2013

Not much "kraziness" in the kitchen this time...

Well, there hasn't been all that much going on in the kitchen this week, except for cleaning... and that was DESPERATELY needed.  Oh the joys of not having a dishwasher and not being able to install one very easily...  Anyway, I did the rice/bean/meat meal during the week (see previous post).  Hubbs really liked the seasoned, ground turkey, in fact he said it was better than the kielbasa I have put in it previously.  It also added a bit of a kick.  But all I did was take what I put together on Sunday out of the fridge, cut up the cheese (~16 ounces) and put it in layers on top of the concoction, covered it with aluminum foil and put it in at 350F.  As the cheese started to get gooey, I began trying to stir it.  I'll admit I started to get impatient, so I bumped it up to 375F towards the end...   but it turned out awesome.  And I had it for lunch for a few days at work, too.  It was nice to have something home cooked, but didn't take forever to make on a weeknight.

Oh, and the chicken and noodles meal I made for Sunday night was pretty good re-heated.  I actually think in some ways, it was better as you could taste the cheese more.  I think next time I make it, I will definitely use more cheese, and maybe less cream of chicken soup.

 As for other meals for the week, we did mac'n'cheese with hot dogs in it (one of hubbs' favorite), breakfast for dinner, and I can't remember much else that we had, but I know we ate! (how sad is that?!)  Anyway, yesterday, hubbs made breakfast for buddy and I (he is AWESOME with cooking breakfast foods!  Except for pancakes... that's more up my alley).  We had some leftover bacon bits (not the hard salad stuff, but the softer bacon), so he poured it into eggs and made omelets.  He sliced those up and put them on fresh baked biscuits with some cheese, and we had a nice, substantial breakfast.  Buddy, however, is not a fan of the bacon, so hubbs just scrambled some eggs plain for him. 

On that note, I have to say it's hard trying to come up with meals that the whole family will eat.  Buddy does have very select tastes, and it's something hubbs and I are working to expand.  He likes some things you would expect, but then other things you might not expect a child his age to eat.  He loves cucumbers, raw carrots, raw tomatoes, salad (no dressing).  But a lot of other things, not so much.  And sometimes it depends on the alignment of the moon and stars, what mood he is in... yeah...  but we're working on it!  If we ate what he ate all the time, we'd have peanut butter sandwiches, goldfish crackers, chicken nuggets, and the like aaaaaaaaaall the time.  And hubbs and I don't have the sanity for that!


Well onto what I was going to make for tonight, but have decided to push off to an evening during the week.  Hubbs and I like chili, and we have one recipe that my mother in law gave me, which is what the hubbs absolutely loves.  It is the standard meat, beans, chili seasoning, in a crockpot all day and *bam* you have a meal.  I also have a cook book that is devoted to just different varieties of chili, and have done some of them out of there, but I was looking for something different, so I logged on to AllRecipes.com and searched for chili recipes.  I found one that struck my fancy, and it is called, "White Chili" (very descriptive, because I'm sure that there are a TON of recipes out there with that title, but that's the name!).

Ingredients:
1lb ground turkey, browned
1c medium salsa
1c frozen corn kernels
1c water
2 (14oz) cans great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 (8oz) package jalapeno pepper Cheddar cheese chunks

Directions:
In a large pot or saucepan combine the browned turkey, salsa, corn, water, beans and cheese. Stir together and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes, or until cooked through and cheese has melted.


After looking at the reviews, it got high marks on taste, but people said that it was dry during the simmering time, so they did any combination of things to add more liquid to the simmering time.  Some people didn't drain the beans, some put in more water, some used chicken broth, some added more salsa, some used canned corn... the possibilities are endless.  I have decided to use canned corn (I typically have a stockpile of that in my pantry) and may drain some of it (I know, the liquid will change the overall flavor a little bit), and instead of using great Northern beans, I'm going to use one can of pinto and one can of kidney beans.  I'll probably drain and rinse those.  And of course, I'm going to keep an eye on it and add more water if need be.  I couldn't find cheddar cheese with jalapenos at my grocery store, so I got shredded pepper Jack cheese.  And I got four cups of it... because everything is better with more cheese!  But tonight I'm going to brown the meat so when I get home from work tomorrow or Tuesday, I can just pull out all of the ingredients, dump them into a pot and let it simmer.

I'll post a review of it later in the week... hopefully it won't be one of those where my frozen pizza in reserve will have to be pulled out!  Today I saw at my grocery store that they had a really good sale on chicken (50% off a package of chicken breasts!), so I got two packs for the price of one, and threw them in the freezer.  I might pull one of those packs out one evening to thaw so I can put it in marinade in the morning and bake it when I get home... we'll see, though!


Happy cookin'!
~KB~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment